Thursday, July 10, 2008

Camargo Correa - 7/10

We left a little after 7am for Americana. Leonardo drove his black Chevy Corsa for about an hour until we stopped at a large truck stop. We got pão de queijo and they got some coffee. We left there about 8:30am and drove to the CSC (Centro de Soluções Compartilhadas) arriving at about 9:30am. I got set up for my conference call and had the conference call until about 11am.

I went down to find Álvaro, but I couldn’t find him (he had left me in a room upstairs and only explained how to get to where he was). I walked around for a second and asked someone where RH (Recursos Humanos or HR) was and they told me I was in the right place. I found Eduardo and Leonardo and waited with them until Álvaro came back. He introduced me to Francielle and we talked about how good my Portuguese was. Álvaro gave me some spreadsheets to look at and told me he would give me something to do after lunch. It’s very similar to my first day in the US. Look at this first and familiarize yourself with it and then I’ll give you something to do. Also, both clients I’ve worked on we’ve done the internal and DT does the external.

Álvaro told me today that he thinks people here with KPMG Brazil work a lot more than in the states. Osmar worked from 8:30 to 7 on Tuesday and I think that’s normal for the audit team. I looked through the spreadsheets and tried to figure out some of the abbreviations. I’ve got some of them, but there’s more I don’t recognize than do. I’ll ask Álvaro when he comes to show me what I’m doing. Álvaro came to get me a little before 12:30 and he explained some more things along the way. He’s been really helpful explaining how things work and answering any questions I have. He told me to try to always quantify a risk (contract said 4%, system has 5% so over 6 months this results in a loss of $100k, etc.)

We had lunch at 12:30 at the onsite cafeteria. The cafeteria is run by GranSparo (I need to doublecheck the spelling). The food was pretty good. I don’t know who paid, but I didn’t have to =). After lunch they had a pile of fruit cups so we could take one back to our desk (our fruit for the day). We took a walk around the building per Leonardo’s request (let lunch settle a little bit). On the way, Álvaro commented to Eduardo that Eduardo is probably the heaviest smoker he knows (which is true, if he’s not doing something, he’s smoking).

No comments: